The cloud – what is it and why is it important? Like the name suggests, the idea of the cloud feels lofty and hard to grasp. Simply put, cloud computing is the practice of using a network hosted on the Internet, or “the cloud,” to store, manage, and process data. This means you won’t have to maintain or own any hosting equipment.
People use cloud computing to do everything from streaming videos and hosting websites to delivering software. Companies who offer cloud computing are called cloud service providers (CSP), like Sevaa Group! Most CSPs are built on AWS, Google, or Azure. However, Sevaa Group owns all of our own equipment, making us our own cloud provider. All in all, this means that we’ll manage everything for you including security measures, updates, and any server issues.
Types of Cloud Computing
CSPs fall into three main categories. These are often referred to as the cloud computing stack.
- IaaS is the most common type of cloud computing. With this layout, you rent IT infrastructure, like storage, networks, and servers, that would traditionally exist in a physical datacenter. Instead, the IaaS provider hosts your infrastructure in their own datacenter, so you don’t have to worry about it. Hosting with an IaaS is appealing due to the promise of scalability. However, managed hosting isn’t always guaranteed, and there’s a substantial amount of configuration required to get your project up and running.
- PaaS vendors include more of the application stack and offer cloud infrastructure and services. They might also provide products and services like software developing, testing, and maintenance. In fact, Sevaa Group is a PaaS vendor. We offer software development, hosting, and IT management all on our own servers.
- SaaS usually uses a subscription approach to deliver applications over the Internet on demand. In summary, SaaS cloud providers host and manage the software application, infrastructure, and any maintenance. Users then access the application over the Internet through a browser on their device.
6 Advantages of the Cloud
- Cloud computing works on a pay-as-you-go basis. You only pay for what you use, similar to a utility bill. This eliminates the need to spend money on the hardware that comes with hosting on a server. And, instead of worrying about servers, you’ll be able to focus on your business.
- Many cloud computing services come on-demand, so increasing computing resources can happen efficiently.
- With cloud computing, you have the ability to scale elastically. In other words, your website or app receives the right amount of resources (bandwidth, storage, etc.) when it needs them.
- Sevaa Group’s cloud computing services run through secure local data centers that our Systems Administrators regularly maintain.
Easily Transferred Information
- The easy accessibility that comes with the cloud computing makes it a very simple process to share information across the globe.
- In cloud computing, data backups occur routinely making disaster recovery easy and inexpensive. Data can be found on multiple devices at redundant sites on the cloud provider’s network.
There are three types of cloud deployments:
- Cloud service providers completely own public clouds. Businesses and individuals then create and access their accounts through a browser. All servers and infrastructures in public clouds are handled over the internet.
- A private cloud is used exclusively by a single business. These clouds can be hosted by a third party cloud provider or physically on the business’s datacenter. All services and infrastructures on this type of cloud are maintained on a private network.
- A hybrid cloud combines both private and public clouds. Transferring information and documents between the two clouds is very simple. This allows for more flexibility and deployment configuration options.
Determine which factors are right for you when it comes to hosting your project. Do you expect an influx of traffic? Then scalability is important. Do you want a more hands-off approach to hosting? Then perhaps managed hosting is the way to go.
Since Sevaa Group owns all of our own hosting equipment, we offer cloud services just as AWS or Azure would. The difference? We can manage your hosting so that you don’t have to. Talk to us about hosting your next project.